I’ve been training at CrossFit Jozi since:
I did the Jump-up programme in July 2015 and have not looked back since.
I discovered CrossFit through:
ESPN when that was still a channel on DSTV, from there it was just a love-hate relationship.
The most significant change in my health since starting CrossFit has been:
I don’t seem to get sick any more, I am just generally in better shape. I have not been able to lose the covering over that better shape, but with luck and willpower that will come.
My biggest challenge in CrossFit is:
Apart from waking up every morning for the 5am class, it’s got to be pistols and muscle ups
What keeps you coming back?
I really just enjoy the type of people that CrossFit attracts. Crossfitters are just a special type of messed up and that resonates with me!
If I could use one word to describe myself it would be:
My favorite activity outside of CrossFit is:
Spending time with my wife and kids!
My favorite place to eat in Jozi is:
At the moment it would have to be Rocca Mammas
My proudest accomplishment at CrossFit Jozi is:
My first and only muscle up and being able to break 90 degrees on the squat. One of my highlights was competing with team Vicious and Delicious at LMS this year.
[For many people, “breaking 90” on a squat is just kinaesthetic awareness. Gareth had hip surgery that severely reduces range of motion. Getting below parallel in a squat is a huge milestone!]
My current goals are:
To be able to string a few muscle ups together and to start eating clean/er
Tell us something we don’t know about you.
I cannot stand wall balls, it takes everything in me not to turn around and walk out the minute I see them on the board!
CHALMAR BEEF ATHLETE OF THE MONTH: MAY 2016
1. Name: Sarah McHarg
2. I’ve been training at CrossFit Jozi since: I did my Jump-Up in November 2012, trained sporadically for a bit, then came back with a vengeance in January 2016
3. I discovered CrossFit through: my super-awesome sister, Amy ;p
4. The most significant change in my health since starting CrossFit has been: Huge weight-loss, and I’m fitter and stronger. In terms of mental health, I feel ready for anything just about all of the time, which I attribute to my accomplishments at training
5. My biggest challenge in CrossFit is: running and rope climbs!
6. What keeps you coming back? The feeling of empowerment through improving each day, together with the support and friendship of the community – and Zu is a bully!
7. If I could use one word to describe myself it would be: Complex
8. My favorite activity outside of CrossFit is: PC gaming and reading fantasy
9. My favorite place to eat in Jozi is: anything Chinese
10. My proudest accomplishment at CrossFit Jozi is: my PB backsquat of 72 kgs and a deadlift of 84kgs
11. My current goals are: PULL UPS!
12. Tell us something we don’t know about you: People are often surprised to find out that I’m a deceased estates attorney